The Tragedy and Comedy of Living in Kenya
There is a great quote by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen): "You woke up in the morning and thought: Here I am, where I ought to be."- Out of Africa (1937) That is how I feel about Kenya.
However there are tragedies that occur that make you wonder how such a wonderful country can have such violence. http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/africa/6305727.stm
Since I heard about this story- 2 American women killed in a car jacking incident, during the day on Saturday... I think of the fear they must have had- they were shot because they hestitated... perhaps the seatbelt wouldn't un-click fast enough, or perhaps they were so shocked by what was happening in the "country they loved" that they couldn't think, move, or act. Crime is not something I see everyday but when I am a victim of it (my laptop) and I read about the tragedies of car jackings I realize that I do live in a dangerous environment, one that requires careful attention.
...........................................
However there are tragedies that occur that make you wonder how such a wonderful country can have such violence. http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/africa/6305727.stm
Since I heard about this story- 2 American women killed in a car jacking incident, during the day on Saturday... I think of the fear they must have had- they were shot because they hestitated... perhaps the seatbelt wouldn't un-click fast enough, or perhaps they were so shocked by what was happening in the "country they loved" that they couldn't think, move, or act. Crime is not something I see everyday but when I am a victim of it (my laptop) and I read about the tragedies of car jackings I realize that I do live in a dangerous environment, one that requires careful attention.
...........................................

Comedy: On a happier note- I went and saw a fantastic movie on the weekend. "Stranger than Fiction". I absolutely loved this movie, its message, the cast, the characters- everything!!
The soundtrack is amazing as well: http://www.columbiarecords.com/strangerthanfiction/
On Sunday Emily and I took advantage of a free event at the Nairobi Sub Aqua Club. They were advertising a free trial scuba dive, so we decided to go! It was a great idea. I really enjoyed it and in fact will be taking a scuba course starting Wed. Wed nights will be theory and Sunday mornings will be the practical dive. At the end of March the class travels to the coast of Kenya to complete the dive and finally get certified.
On Sunday Emily and I took advantage of a free event at the Nairobi Sub Aqua Club. They were advertising a free trial scuba dive, so we decided to go! It was a great idea. I really enjoyed it and in fact will be taking a scuba course starting Wed. Wed nights will be theory and Sunday mornings will be the practical dive. At the end of March the class travels to the coast of Kenya to complete the dive and finally get certified.


1 Comments:
Amanda...I love your blog. That's all.
6:11 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home