Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thoughts about Canada

I am settling back into my Nairobi lifestyle and although I do love being here I did notice a few things on my trip back to Canada that I miss quite a bit:

1. No pollution, well no visible smog in PEI that is...
2. Walking in the evening
3. Walking or running outside without being afraid I will be hit by a matatu
4. Magazines that don't cost $10.00 a pop.
5. Drinking out of the tap
6. Shower water pressure

Those would be the main material things- of course I miss being in the same continent as my family, but soon enough I will be back!

.............................................

Quick story from my trip home.

Mom and I went to Atlantic Superstore for groceries one day and the woman at the checkout counter happened to be a woman Mom went to high school with. So they start chatting and Mom says "Great to see you, how often do you work here?"

Response in a completely positive/happy voice: "Oh I work full time/part time, which means that I work 6 days a week and get 1 day off. Yesterday was my day off and it was beautiful!"

My jaw dropped. I could not believe this woman was so happy about working 6 days a week with one day off. Her positive energy and general happiness was contagious and when Mom and I got to the parking lot I thought, "Wouldn't it be great if we could all be that happy, satisfied, and thankful about our jobs?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Gypsy@Work said...

Hi,
I liked your blog & wish to exchange links with you.
You can visit my blog at Hill Stations in India
If interested, please leave a comment on the latest post.
Thanks
Sridhar

9:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home