Sunday, October 14, 2007

Chasing the Buzz

It's been over a year since I moved to Kenya. Throughout the year I have been blessed with incredible opportunities, travel, meeting new friends, parties, exotic experiences, culture... however as I have had time to reflect this weekend I wonder if in many of those cases I have been keeping myself busy to avoid dealing with difficult situations, personal issues. I am constantly busy-ing myself and when I do stop to reflect, think, write, I do come up against some difficult issues, hard questions, and all I want to do is re-distract myself by watching a movie, reading, traveling, going out with friends...

I have been reflecting on this issue of chasing the buzz for a few weeks now. As I know this is going to be my last year in Kenya, I worry that the next destination I move to will not be as culturally exciting, adventurous, or worthy of a blog :) Do I always chase the buzz? I need to become more comfortable with the day to day of life- the cooking a meal at home, watching a t.v. show, reading at home alone... being alone and feeling comfortable about it. I have learned a lot this year in Kenya and know that I will grow even more over the course of the next year, but this weekend I have been faced with a number of looming questions and in many ways it is one of the most enlightening weekends I have had in Kenya without the "buzz".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what comes from reading 'The Bell Jar'! over-thinking. I gave it up a while ago! Maybe being busy is what you like. Anyway I'll be sad if your blog goes. :(

6:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please do not consider giving up your blog. I look forward to Mondays.

3:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home