Problems in Kenya but am OK
It’s January 2 and technically I am supposed to be at work, however I have been told not to go into work for the rest of the week due to the escalating problems, riots, and demonstrations across the city- most notably in town (where I work).
Experiencing something like this is quite an eye opener. Yes the elections showcase a sense of democracy, as more Kenyans voted across the country than ever before, however how is democracy helping the people of Kenya whose homes are being burned, stores and livelihoods burned, and people – family and friends dying on the streets? It is completely bizarre- definitely not something that happened during the Bush v. Gore election scandal.
In terms of how we are coping here- well it was certainly difficult to not have the opportunity to buy groceries for 4 days, to have to buy things at the petrol station where they jacked up the prices. 4 rolls of toilet paper and a bottle of wine came to $40. When ONE grocery store did open yesterday on New Years Day we went up there- bought what we could, however there is no bread or milk….we have been fairly inventive in our cooking- finding things in the cupboards that you forgot you had. The main concerns for me are running out of water and phone credit (which also is hard to find).
I’m writing this at home and hope that I will be able to find somewhere in my neighbourhood where I can access the internet to post this on the blog.
Basically just reporting that I am safe and all is well in my area of town. I’m house bound for the next while and limited to the few blocks from my house, but thankfully safe in all aspects.


1 Comments:
Thanks for your update. It was very informative. I read it to Sarah and she saaid at least you got TP with the wine. We are both very pleased you are well even if you are stuck at home.
Please take care,
Rich and Sarah across the street on King Richard
3:57 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home